Glad you're here! You're probably reading this because you have a nickel allergy. If not, the rest of this blog probably is of no interest to you but read on if you wish.
If you don't have a nickel allergy, you're good to go!
This blog is a means to provide information about the Bloomsday items to anybody with a nickel allergy that was wondering why some of our jewellery products are hypoallergenic and some aren't.
- We submitted all of our jewellery items to a third-party auditor called QIMA.
- All silver-coloured items passed certification and are 100% certified hypoallergenic.
- Some gold-coloured items are certified hypoallergenic (Daisy Ring, Daisy Chain Necklace, and Daisy Huggie Earrings).
Some gold-coloured items are mostly hypoallergenic but have small parts that are not certified hypoallergenic (Daisy Dangle Earrings and Daisy Enamel Pendant):
- Silly things like the loop that attaches the enamel pendant to the chain and the earring backings. Photos indicating affected parts are provided below.
- Those with severe nickel allergies should avoid gold variants of Daisy Dangle Earrings | Tapered, Daisy Dangle Earrings | Uniform and Daisy Enamel Pendant.
- Those with mild nickel allergies can use their discretion for gold variants of Daisy Dangle Earrings | Tapered, Daisy Dangle Earrings | Uniform and Daisy Enamel Pendant.
- All listings indicate whether a gold variant is not hypoallergenic.
- Every person's skin is different. We've provided as much information as possible for you to make an informed decision but if an item causes irritation it should not be worn and we cannot be held liable if you knowingly purchase an item that could cause an allergic reaction.
For your convenience, we've provided links to the items that are certified hypoallergenic below:
Not Hypoallergenic (unlinked so you don't go to an unsuitable item ❤)
Daisy Dangle Earrings | Tapered - Gold
Daisy Dangle Earrings | Uniform - Gold
Daisy Enamel Pendant Necklace - Gold
QIMA is a third party auditing service that covers inspections from quality control to ethics audits and everything in between.
We hired QIMA to perform material composition and material safety audits to ensure our products were certifiably hypoallergenic by NA and EU standards.
Most of the jewelry items passed the required certifications. For more information on the certifications in question you can read QIMA’s blogs:
ASTM-F2999 (American standard)
REACH 1907/2006 (EU standard)
People without Nickel Allergies
All Bloomsday items are 100% safe for you to use. The information in this blog is strictly to provide information for people with nickel allergies.
We hope you enjoy the high quality stainless steel and the benefits that come with it:
- Incredible durability, much more than silver and gold
- Won't cause green skin (caused by copper content)
- More affordable than precious metals
- Easy to maintain
- Water and tarnish resistant
People with Allergies
We're disappointed that some silly oversights on our manufacturer’s part caused the Daisy Dangle Earrings and the Daisy Enamel Pendant to fail certification. It’s not a terrible thing to happen, it's just unfortunate that some of the gold variants may not be safe for those with nickel allergies.
But we don't know your limits! So we wanted to provide context so you can make your own decisions. The parts that could cause you nickel-haters a problem are easily replaceable so if you really want one of the non-hypoallergenic items and are willing to swap out some parts, it's totally possible!
The parts in question are the backings for the Daisy Dangle Earrings | Tapered, the pin for Daisy Dangle Earrings | Uniform, and the loop that attaches the pendant to the chain for the Daisy Enamel Pendant.
Gold Daisy Dangle Earrings
Nickel limit: 0.2 µg/cm2/week
Most nickel detected over three trials: 2.20x limit
Earring backings are mostly universal so if you can find a metal backing that works for you or a rubber backing, all of the other parts are certified hypoallergenic and are safe to wear. This is the problematic part that you'd need to replace or avoid:
Nickel limit: 0.88 µg/cm2/week
Most nickel detected over three trials: 18.09x limit
This part unfortunately can’t be replaced and will be inserted into your skin. If you have a nickel allergy we highly recommend avoiding the gold variant. Note that this is for the gold variant only, the silver variant is certified hypoallergenic.
Gold Daisy Enamel Pendant
Nickel limit: 0.88 µg/cm2/week
Most nickel detected over three trials: 1.98x limit
If you can find a metal loop that works for your skin to attach the pendant to the chain, all of the other parts are certified hypoallergenic and are safe to wear. This is the problematic part that you'd need to replace or avoid:
We totally understand why buying a product and having to immediately replace parts is not ideal. We're not asking you to do so, but we figured if there was an item you were set on and disappointed to find out it doesn't work for you that there is still an option for you. We're working with our manufacturer to make sure the next jewellery items will be unquestionably hypoallergenic with no compromises. But for now, a compromise is better than no Bloomsday at all. 🌼
The Bottom Line
Every person's skin is different. We've provided as much information as possible for you to make an informed decision but if an item causes irritation it should not be worn. If you have an allergy and knowingly purchase an item that could be problematic for your skin, that is your decision.
No Nickel Allergy
If you don't have an allergy, you have nothing to worry about! Wear to your hearts’ content.
Mild Nickel Allergy
If your nickel allergy is mild, you may be okay to wear the non-hypoallergenic items (Gold Dangle Earrings and Gold Enamel Pendant). Selina—our designer and founder—has a nickel allergy and has been wearing them with no issues.
Severe Nickel Allergy
If you have a severe nickel allergy, be diligent about making sure any gold variants you plan to buy are declared hypoallergenic in the listing descriptions.
For your convenience, below is a list of all products that are safe for those with nickel allergies:
There was a lot of repetition in this post but we wanted to make sure our bases were covered and nothing was missed by skimmers (we're skimmers ourselves). 🌼
Thanks for coming to our TED Talk!
Until next time,